Sunday, January 26, 2014

How I Make Weight Watchers Work For Me



How did I make it work?

First let me start off my saying that the darling folks at Weight Watchers have no clue who I am. They didn't ask me to write my opinion or share anything with you. I'm doing it because it's working for me. If they'd like to waive my monthly fee for me I would jump up and down and give them air kisses though----dreaming.

I've gotten quite a few emails from people asking me how I make Weight Watchers work for me. The first time I got an  email  it made me giggle---not because of the question, but because I remember thinking the exact same thing when I stumbled upon THIS GIRLS blog back in May.   I'm happy to share what is working for me because I'm a busy mom and probably a lot like you.

The Weight Watchers program focuses on points. Each food has a point value and you are given a certain number of points per day. The idea is to eat your points each day. You're given weekly points which are above your daily points. For example, I have 26 points to eat each day. Each week I  also get 49 points to use how I wish. This week? I had three slices of pizza at a party Friday night and indulged in some ice cream with the kids. The weekly points allow you to feel like you can still enjoy life. It allows you to not be super restrictive. In the past restricting myself only lead to over eating later. These points are like your Blow Money for all you Dave Ramsey fans.... Use how you want---no questions asked. I always use all mine and have consistently lost weight for 6 months now.

Another thing you should know is most fruits and vegetables are zero points. Yep, eat as many as you'd like. However, I would advise NOT to eat three apples in a day. Bad news friends, bad news. Please just trust me on this....
Knowing that you can have as many fruits and veggies as you'd like to "fill-up" trains you to make healthier choices. Some of you might be thinking, well duhhhh that seems kinda childish to trick yourself into eating healthier. I'd have to agree with you---but making this change was  BIG  for me.  Fast food three times a week to eating healthy----I needed the help. You might too? I don't know.

When you exercise? You earn more points. You can use the ones you earn and still lose weight. I usually don't use them though.  I have on occasion---but not normally.

So that's how the basic program works.
How do I make it work for me?

Breakfasts are always the same. My mornings are nuts--whether I'm getting myself and the kids ready for me to pop off to work or I'm staying home with them and playing trains all day. It doesn't matter. Weirdly enough eating the same breakfast creates routine within chaos. I am all about that.  I eat  1/3 cup of steel cut oats  with a dash of cinnamon and fruit. every. day.

Lunches are rarely about WHAT I eat---it's just that I MUST PLAN what I'm going to eat. I read on a fitness blog once that if you fail to plan you're planning to fail. I've found that to be true. I must plan my lunches and pack them in advance if I'm going to stay on track that day. Staying on track equals losing weight each week so it's easier for me to stick with it that way. On days that I work I always bring a variation of the same lunch. 


Turkey wrap --I like Targets locarb wrap or Flat Wrap It Ups Italian (both are 2PP) Turkey is 2PP
Two pieces of fruit (0 PP)
A string cheese stick ( 1 PP)
Carrots with ranch seasoning (0 PP)
Dill pickles (0 PP)

My lunch is usually 5-6 PP

Dinners were my biggest hesitation with weight watchers. WHAT am I going to cook that will be healthy and nutritious and will also please the other three members of my family? Some people cook a family meal and then a separate meal for themselves. I cannot do that. I can barely cook one meal let alone two. Here is what I've found to be a lifesaverEMEALS What is EMEALS?  It's a meal planning website. You sign up and pay a small fee per month and each week they email you a grocery list, meal plan, and recipes. They have lots of different plans including a portion control plan  that has WW points already totaled. BOOM! right?  The meals are delicious, healthy, and the kids approve. most days. I can't do the salad and grilled chicken thing long term. Emeals has great recipes and they rarely repeat a meal. This week we are having things like maple walnut pork chops, tex mex casserole, chicken chili, and rosemary chicken. That doesn't sound like diet food right thurrr does it?! There is even a groupon for EMEALS right now if you're wanting to try it at a discount.

My favorite zero /low point foods:
  • baby carrots sprinkled with ranch dip mix. You know the mix that you combine with mayo or sour cream to make your own ranch dip? Yea that, only don't mix it with anything. Sprinkle a little on your veggie of choice and it tastes like you're eating ranch flavored veggies. ZERO POINTS. Lots of sodium.......but we can't have it all now can we ladies.
  • Pear slices with cinnamon and stevia (pop it in the microwave in the evening....desert!)
  • pickles
  • celery with salsa
  • Apple Chips ( I use this recipe from Pinterest)
Prior to trying to lose weight I had a bowl of ice cream each night. The habit started when I was pregnant with Lilly and I honestly couldn't shake it. Well, I probably COULD HAVE, but I didn't want to. Ehh. Here is my favorite watching TV sweet fix:

2 tablespoons of frozen cool whip free
1 fiber one brownie
1 teaspoon PB2
1 sliced banana

The entire thing is 4 points. FOUR.

My bowl of ice cream that I used to eat would be 10 points. TEN.



The biggest thing I've learned to do while using WW is planning things out. Some days I can tell that I'm going to want something more indulgent in the evening. I can TOTALLY do that and still lose weight as long as I adjust the rest of my day accordingly.  I'm not on track 100% of the time. Please know that I'm not a poster perfect example of WW. This is what is working for me. Using these techniques I've been able to lose 48 pounds on WW since the beginning of June.


This post is ridiculously long. If you're still reading, my guess is you're interested in WW or even trying to lose some weight. If you're looking to try and lose weight---YOU can do it. I didn't WANT to before  because I knew it meant changing the way I had become used to living. It made me uncomfortable. I'm still uncomfortable! I hope this was a teeny bit helpful. It was good to get all these thoughts out of my head.

Thanks for reading if you're still with me. High fives all around!

4 comments:

  1. where do you get the PB2? ANy other oatmeal combos you have tried with the steel cut oats that you like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I came across your blog on pinterest and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tips. I was inspired to eat healthy today

    ReplyDelete