Thursday, March 11, 2010

A dose of I love Jesus.

Dedicate. verb To devote wholly and earnestly as to some person or purpose.


We had Lilly's baby dedication last Sunday. It was something I had been looking forward to since she was born. Becoming a parent has brought new pressures. New questions. New joys. New celebrations. Sometimes I look at her and think "How on Earth is she mine?" The Lord has given us an awesome gift and with this gift comes an awesome responsibility. One that weighs HEAVY on my heart and spirit. Unfortunately, in my profession I see first hand the results of parents who do not take this responsibility seriously. I see children who grow up abused, neglected, and whose lives are void of unconditional love and boundaries. Seeing this--scares me. I'm sure they didn't set out in the first few days and weeks with their little ones and think "Well, I'm gonna just screw this one up...." They most likely had the same weight on their shoulders like I do. It just happens. Life gets in the way of your good intentions if you let it. It's impossible to do things perfect and on your own. The world around us can drag you down at an alarming pace.


God is needed. He's in full control ( now matter how hard I try to pull it away from him!). Knowing what peace and guidance comes from the Lord made the decision to raise Lilly in the church and in a Godly house easy. I've tried living on my own terms and without Him. I made a true mess of things...and hurt a lot of people. Including myself.

So Sunday, after stressing out for waaaaaayyyy too long about what to wear, we stood at the front of the church and made a promise. A promise to God, Lilly, our family, and our congregation to raise Lilly with a firm foundation in the Truth we believe. To be held accountable by our family and friends should we ever stray.


It was a celebration to dedicate her life and ours as a family to a life modeled after Him. Hopefully, many years down the road Lilly will one day make the decision to follow Christ on her own. She'll learn the things that Scott and I know and believe it for herself. We'll be able to welcome her with open arms and know that her decision did not come by chance. We'd made a promise waaaaay back in 2010 that we were going to pray for this day for the many years to come.





Lilly is a LOVED child.


Woah, long one.
Annnnnnnnnnnnd if you're wondering.....because I always do. No, she didn't scream or throw a fit. I threatened to make her eat that yucky cereal the rest of her life. She knew better and didn't make a peep. :)

3 comments:

  1. That was absolutely beautiful!! Praise our God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fabulously written post! that was clearly from the heart and soul. :-) Lilly is one lucky little girl to have you and Scott for parents. have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! glad everything went great!

    ReplyDelete