Sunday, December 20, 2009

Everyday I learn something new about parenting/motherhood. Today's lesson? Slamming the snooze button numerous times before rolling outta bed to get ready for church on Sunday morning is no longer a reality for Mrs. Gambrel. (tear) This morning we embarked on our first journey to church since entering Lillytown. I'm so glad we went. Twelve weeks is waaaaayyyy to long to miss a service. I believe it was the longest I've ever been a non-sunday dweller. Eeks. But in my defense...weeks 1-3 I did not know day from night, up from down, Sunday from Tuesday. Weeks 3-7 were consumed with my H1N1 phobia because naturally EVERY person at church would have it and expose my daughter. Weeks 7-12? ummm... PURE LAZINESS. :) Maybe it was the fact that 12 weeks seemed like a large milestone for Lilly. Maybe it was the nativity set sitting on my bookshelf. Maybe it was the carols swimming in my mind and echoing throughout my home and car. Maybe it was the fact that the holiday we're celebrating on Friday is JESUS' BIRTH. Regardless, on Monday....I decided...the Gambrel's need to get BACK to church and enjoy some praising the Lord!! AMEN.
Have you ever sat in church and felt like the sermon was specifically meant for you? God shone his spotlight on me this morning and it was like he was doing his best snapping his fingers in my face motion saying, "Attention, Laura? Yes, you in the pink flats. This message is for you...please stop daydreaming. Lilly is JUST FINE in the nursery. You can figure out what you'll have for lunch later. Please PAY ATTENTION." and bam. I sat there the rest of the sermon engulfed reflecting and thinking about what Mr. Reeves was saying. His sermon revolved around Luke 2:20. Oh, you don't have it memorized? Shame...shame. :) Here ya go.

"The shepherds RETURNED glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen."

and the idea that God's best witnesses are common people with a testimony.

Common person? Check. Testimony? Check. I've never really thought about it that way before. I believe what I believe because of people. I see God working in others lives and my own. I KNOW what I KNOW because of common people...not because of what a preacher is telling me on a random Sunday morning. I've never really thought about MY life being a testimony of God's Love. I mean, I know that every person has a story. I've had a life-long journey of faith. Could MY life really help another person see God's Love? Me? They answer to that question is maybe, most-likely, yes. One day, hopefully soon, I'm gonna write out my testimony. Not right now, because Miss Lil is not-so-politely asking for her lunch...but later. What good is my story if I don't make it public? So maybe it's my new year's resolution, or maybe just a goal for the not-so-distant future. I'm going to do it. I'm going to make all my mistakes and struggles known and I'd like to show everyone how MY GOD and MY JESUS got me through it. I have a feeling that I'm going to have this "spotlight sensation" feeling from God on me until I do...He's persistant like that.


Sorry that this post really doesn't have much to do with my little one. She did make us a little late outta the gate this morning on our way to church because she wouldn't stop smiling and laughing long enough to eat her breakfast. I was sitting there with her bottle thinking "Eat, you turd!" but I couldn't stay mad at her, little stinker.

1 comment:

  1. Love the post sister-in-law!!!
    Can't wait to see you all over Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete